Sign In » Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter New user? Register Now! Help

Underground House: In Your Humble Opinion..bass Mastering - Underground House

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

In Your Humble Opinion..bass Mastering Reason Rack setting? or Protools mastering

#1 Guest_:::mark_d:::_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

I was debating this with shannon last week, and would really like to know
what your take on it is..

We all have realized that bass freqs are better produced in Mono.. would you simply
only use the mono jack in reason and create a redrum that only has your kicks on it as that mono, (I mean is this sufficient for mastering?) or is it better to
master everything below a certain frequency as mono on mixdown? Say using protools or logic?

This post has been edited by :::mark_d:::: 29 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

#2 User is offline   JohnnyTLuxury 

• you know whats up
  • Pip
  • Group: Basic

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

Well using Reason 3 myself at times, Ive found that i havent really made any headway using the kick in a mono situation. Ive even used layered kicks, with the bottom filtered below roughly 70 hz or so, and even when ive wired it mono, I didnt get any change in sound. Reason also has the Stereo Imaging rack in the Mastering Combi, and you can change your stereo image at the low freqs to mono. Ive found it gives me more of a headache. Kicks dont seem to be as affected, possibly because they are short in duration, as compared to bass notes. Just what Ive found in practice...

#3 Guest_:::mark_d:::_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:49 PM

cool thanks, I'll prolly just stick with using mono in mastering in protools then, and compress the snot out of the mono there as well.

#4 User is offline   fabriciom 

• when youre in my hut
  • Group: Basic +

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:49 AM

What your looking for is called side-chaining.

#5 User is offline   vangroover 

• you know whats up
  • Pip
  • Group: Basic +

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

kicks i always record mono, bass sometimes can be cool to record two mono takes like use the same midi file to trigger two complete different sounds, I sometimes use a square wav for one side and a another for the other then panning them far left and far right in my mixdown makes acid bass lines sound huge !.
good luck

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users